Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Country Breakfast Bowls - Yummy Meal Prep!

One of the many things I love is breakfast food. I could eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. On the other hand, one of the many things I am not good at is waking up early enough before work to make a decent breakfast.

I stumbled across a recipe that had some of my favorite foods: potatoes, eggs, cheese, and mushrooms. Of course, I put in a few other yummy ingredients.

What You'll Need:
  • 3 lbs. russet potatoes or 2 bags of potatoes
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • ½ tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • Freshly cracked pepper
  • 12 large eggs
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1½ cups salsa
  • 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
 
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
 
If you are using russet potatoes, wash and cut the potatoes into one-inch cubes. If you are using bagged potatoes like I did, go ahead and put the potato cubes in a large bowl and add the olive oil, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and some freshly cracked pepper.


 
 
Toss the potatoes until they are well coated in oil and seasoning.
 

 
Line a baking sheet with foil and put a thin layer of non-stick spray.
 
 
Spread the potatoes out over the baking sheet.



 
Roast the potatoes in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until they are tender and golden brown. Stir the potatoes once, about half way through.

 
When potatoes are done, divide between microwave safe containers.
 
Add ¼ cup of salsa to each container.
 
 
 
Crack the eggs into a large bowl and gently whisk them. I also added some skim milk to the eggs. I found that this made them more fluffy when I re-heated them a few days later. Melt the butter in a large skillet. When the butter is melted, pour in the eggs.  Be careful not to over cook the eggs at this point because they will cook further upon reheating the breakfast bowls.
 

 
Divide the scrambled eggs among the containers and then top with about ¼ cup of shredded cheese.


 
I decided to step it up a notch and add some sautéed mushrooms  



 
 
And bacon!





 
Leave them in the refrigerator if you plan to eat them within 5-6 days. If not, transfer to the freezer.
 
Now you have a week full of grab and go breakfast!


As many of you know, I usually do a husband rating on each recipe. However, my husband is not a huge fan of stuff like this, so I am going to give this recipe a rating.

Sara Rating: B+

Recipe credit to Budget Bytes:
http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/06/country-breakfast-bowls-freezable/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment